Monday, April 7, 2008

it's all john's fault

In honor of our 6th wedding anniversary, I'd like to blame this weight loss predicament on John. After all, Google "marriage weight gain" and you will find a plothera of articles on how married men and women gain more weight than their single counterparts. In fact, this USA Today article puts the number at 6 to 9 pounds more!

Both John and I love food. We have eaten in some amazing places in our 10 (!!!!) years together. We enjoy cooking for each other. And while John does love fine dining establishments...he also loves him some down-home cooking and greasy spoons. And therein lies the problem.

The weeks are pretty easy for me to stay on track, but the weekends are *much* tougher. In addition to the lack of schedule or structure, we tend to eat out on the weekends. We usually do one breakfast (think: Cracker Barrel) or we will pick up lunch (sandwiches from Wawa anyone?)...and we might eat dinner out (pizza, Mexican and steak, oh my!). Throw some beer and wine in there, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

The key for me is to learn to balance better on the weekends. I've been trying to make better choices when I do go out. Like on Saturday, when I took E to Maggie Moo's after the Urgent Care...what I really wanted was their Carmel Fudge Swirpool fresh escape (Udderly cream ice cream with Snickers and hot fudge...I kid you not!)...but I opted for the small fat free rasberry sorbet. And while I did enjoy a few beers while watching the games on Saturday night, I tried to some drink water between them.

Sure, they'll be times when I don't follow this approach. Sunday we went to Faccia Luna for lunch and John and I split the Franco pizza (sausage, roasted red pepper and red onion). But, by being more aware and striving for balance...hopefully I can make this a permanent change than temporary solution.

3 comments:

Steel Magnolia said...

I know what you mean! Dan loves a dive and a greasy spoon! I figure if I eat healthy and keep moving all week and one day on the weekend I can splurge a little on weekends too. We love food in this house!!!

Queen Mommy said...

I just saw this... good for you! I figure when we're in Ireland we will easily loose 5 pounds each... all that walking and such!

marathon mom said...

Balance is the key- if you completely ditch the fun food, you'll be unhappy (I know I would be!!!). Moderation can be hard sometimes!! But like Steel Magnolia said- keep moving and eating healthy during the week, and the splurge on the weekend will balance out.