Friday, April 11, 2008

put on a happy weight

In a recent issue of SELF, they had an article about "happy weights." Your happy weight is a "goal weight" that is reasonable to maintain based on your frame and other factors (e.g., whether or not you've had kids). They now have the calculator available online.

Here's the most shocking thing for me about the whole calculation...according to their measurements, I'm considered a small frame. I find this odd...I mean, even at my skinniest in my rock-star days of my early 20s where I survived on little sleep, little food, too much *fun* and still managed to get up at 6AM and work out, I wouldn't have ever considered myself on the smaller end for my height.

But, in thinking about it...maybe I am. Maybe my thinking that I'm bigger than I am is partially an excuse to not work as hard to lose the weight. Maybe some of it is self-image...even if I *am* a smalled frame person I feel like I'm much bigger than the people around me. Maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit to what eating healthier and working out will do to my body.

For now, I did the calculations for both small and medium frames...and honestly I'd be happy to fall somewhere in between. But maybe as I get closer to that weight (still have a bit to go), I'll re-evaluate.

4 comments:

Steel Magnolia said...

According to that calculator I'm at my happy weight, but it doesn't make me happy yet...

Anonymous said...

How did you answer the question "Do you have obese parents"?
Dad

Slacker Mama said...

SM, you know it's funny. Pre-E I was *below* my happy weight (even for small frames) and I still wasn't 100%.

Dad, of COURSE I answered "no." Though, I was momentarily tempted to answer yes only because I'd get a couple more pounds for my happy weight (desperate times/desperate measures)...but I decided to lie about my frame size instead.

marathon mom said...

I was below my 'happy weight' when I got pregnant, but I can tell you I would not have been happy with what they had as my 'happy weight'. It just would look odd on my frame!