Friday, April 18, 2008

gone, baby, gone

So, the scale hasn't budged since Wednesday night. Not weight-wise, mind you...location wise. It's still safely tucked away in the bathroom cabinet. And, while I am kind of curious as to what my weight is right now...I'm really glad that it's hidden away. Why?
"Mommy, I wanna see my number." E told me this morning. "Where is the scale?"
Sigh.

When I found out that E was a girl, I was determined to not pass on any body issue problems I might have onto my girls. I won't be a mom who doesn't take the girls to the pool because I'm uncomfortable in a bathing suit. They will never hear me mutter derogatory statements toward myself under my breath.

But, they've seen me get on the scale. If they are in the bathroom in the morning (and they are more often than not), they see me do it. And, for better or worse, they've noticed and have started modeling my behavior. I don't want my children to learn that I perceive some sort of self-worth based on that "number."

So, from now on, the permanent home of the scale will be in the bathroom cabinet.

1 comment:

Steel Magnolia said...

I know, I know...I feel the same way even though I have boys. I won't them to have so much confidence and feel good about themselves.