Monday, February 22, 2010

ready to run

So, as I mentioned on my other blog, I just signed up for the Broad Street Run, a 10-mile race! I'll be running the race with a good friend of mine...which I'm really excited about.

The whole running part of it? Not so much.

You see, try as I might, I'm not a big fan of running. When I was younger, it was an ends to a means...I *had* to do it as part of soccer practice. When I got older, I preferred the gym to running. I did run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler almost 10(!) years ago...but I upped my mileage way to fast, got shin splints, and immediately stopped running after I ran my race.

So, why run it now? Part of the reason is having a friend doing it with me. She asked...how could I say no? Autumn and I have done tons together...planned our weddings, been pregnant, and taken fun vacations (including Ireland!). This is just one more thing we can bitch talk about.

But another part is that I'm kind of in an exercise rut. I've got my workout DVDs and I still do the elliptical...but I've basically been doing the same thing for a year now. Training for this race will be something new to shake things up.

We're going to be using Hal Higdon's training plan for the race. Hopefully, this will help me avoid the injury (and burnout) I had with the Cherry Blossom. Besides, it calls for running only 3 times a week. So yay for less running!

Today was Day 1, which was strength training. Tomorrow is my first running day. But since it's still pitch black when I get up to workout (5:30AM) and the sidewalks in my 'hood are still snow covered, I'm going to do this one on my elliptical. At least initially, I'll be doing the shorter runs during the week on the elliptical and the long run outside.

So wish me luck! I'm *definitely* going to need it!

1 comment:

Pigtails and Pacifiers said...

Run Mama Run! I am in NEED of some sort of exercise routine. Can't wait to see your progress!