Friday, June 26, 2009

a little inspiration

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Jillian Michaels. Her 30 Day Shred consistently kicks my heiny and her two videos are super tough (and I feel like *such* a badass when I finish them...a badass who can't lift her arms abover her head, but a badass nonetheless). She's featured in SELF magazine this month, and the article that on her was a very interesting read.

In the article, she is quoted as saying,
"[Being selfless] is not a good example to set for your kids. Would you treat your kids the way you treat yourself? Would you deprive them of playtime and adequate sleep? Would you not make their doctor's appointments? Would you pick them apart and tell them they are ugly? No!"
I was so struck by this statement...and how it applies to so many moms. We so often put ourselves at the bottom of the priority list and not only is it bad for our health, but also a bad lesson to teach our children. I've definitely gotten much better about this...I used to feel guilty if I worked out on the weekend because it was time away from the kids. But this really does put so much in perspective for me.

What do you think?

No comments: