Monday, March 22, 2010

training update: weeks 1 through 4

So...since I'm 4 weeks into training for the 10-miler, I figured that now would be an appropriate time to update. Actually...I've been meaning to update for a while, but haven't had time, but oh well. Better late than never.

The first two weeks were fantastic! I was able to run outside for 3 of my 6 training runs (doing the remaining ones on the elliptical trainer), which was not bad considering it was February and there was still tons of snow on the ground! The running wasn't hard. I already knew I could run three miles (I ran a 5K without any training over Thanksgiving weekend), so they weren't daunting.

The cross-training days were pretty much what I normally do. I'm using Jackie Warner's video for the strength sessions (she has a 40-min workout for the Strength and Stretch days and a 15-min workout for the day I run), and Jillian Michael's Burn Fat, Boost Metabolism for cross training days.

All in all? Yay!

Weeks 3 and 4 was when reality set in. Actually...week 3 wasn't too bad. We travelled up to Philly, so Autumn and I ran our long run (4 miles) together...on the treadmill, no less! But, when we returned home on Sunday, I wasn't in any mood to get a workout in, so I missed my first one of the training. I didn't worry too much though, since it was only one workout.

And then I got the stomach bug...so I didn't workout Tuesday. And then E got the stomach bug...so I didn't work out Wednesday. And since the time change has made it pitch black until 7AM, I moved moved my Tues/Wed workouts to Thurs/Friday. And then John went out of town (NCAA Tourney), so I didn't work out Saturday or Sunday. (Although, yesterday I did take the girls to an Ice Skating party. The 6 laps we completed were a killer arm workout preventing the girls from falling.)
Luckily for me, this was a "Step Back" week with short runs (2 miles) so that we can push forward with mileage this week. So I'm hoping that I didn't miss too much. I did get up this morning and did my 40 minutes of cross-training (elliptical intervals -- I was a sweaty mess after).

I am worried about how I'm going to run now that it's dark again in the morning. I think Wednesday's run will have to be indoors...and I'll be able to finagle a run on Friday (I'm working from home home) and Sunday. But it's kind of stressing me out. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

Pigtails and Pacifiers said...

I wish I could give you some advice. It takes all I have to run 2 measley miles. My bro and sis in law just finished a half marathon. I know they had a strict training schedule and stuck to it. I'm sure you will get into a good schedule now that the weather is warming up. Good luck!