The other morning I was watching a TiVo-ed episode of What Not to Wear while working out on the elliptical machine. The mom wore oversized clothes and looked totally frumpy...but she argued that's because she was a mom and her needs would always be secondary to that of her daughters.
I almost fell off the machine from rolling my eyes so much. Yes, kids come first, I thought to myself. But to the exclusion of anything for yourself? Isn't that a bit martyr-ish?
Then I realized that I was the pot calling the kettle black. I mean, I own four pairs of casual pants that fit me. I have a closet full of pants that are way too big...and yet sometime in desperation I wear them...or I wear sweats on my work-from-home days. I have two bras that fit...used to be three except somehow I gouged a *gigantic* hole in one so we're down to two. I have gift cards in my wallet that go unused despite me really needing new clothes and cosmetics.
Though I was bemoaning this woman for not taking a flipping afternoon to herself to go shopping...I haven't done that since I honestly can't remember. The last few times I've been shopping have been with the girls in tow...even when I bought my fancy schmancy jeans.
So this weekend I'm doing it. Shopping by myself. Hilarity, I'm sure, will ensue.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Whoa there crazy lady! Shopping. By yourself? Ten bucks says you'll be caught talking to yourself more than once.
(Seriously, enjoy yourself. I did one of those before-the-store-opens personal shopper deals at J Crew and it was heaven. And I actually wear everything I bought that morning because I had 2 hours to try everything on, invent outfits, meander the store. So what I ended up with are totally perfect, Love Them sort of things.)
Good for you! You deserve it. Enjoy the peace and quite of being by yourself.
Shopping is so much more fun while at a "happy" weight, you know? No dread while grabbing pants to try on. And shopping kidless is so much more productive and focused. (Plus, you can buy a skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks in the mall without having to buy 2 stupid milk boxes...) Be sure to hit Loft - the sales are so scary good these days I'm afraid they will to be going out of business like half the other stores in the US!
Post a Comment